Monday, November 19, 2012

And the Crown Goes To...

It seems like this week I’ve been in a perpetual argument with myself.  To be the holiday queen or not to be the holiday queen, THAT has been my question.  So, here I sit.  I’ve come to my decision. think I’ll pass on the holiday royalty.  It’s just too much. 
At the end of last week, I had my “to do” list made.  I was ready.  We would be busy, but no one should worry because I had it all under control.  Birthday parties, church, Awana, school, and school parties, teach, clean house, catch up on laundry, make the last run to Sam’s…It was completely do-able.  But, then, all of a sudden, life happened.  Chloe got sick.  We had to miss church.  Caleb got sick.  I got sick.  Sick.  Sick.  Sick.  And even as I cough as I type, I am sort of sickened even by the idea of everyone being sick during the holidays.  For heaven’s sake, not during the holidays!!!! 

And then I hear myself.  “For heaven’s sake”????  Seriously?  Who do I think I am?!  I know that EVERY good and perfect gift is from above, from my heavenly Father, Who knows how to give very good gifts to His kids.  So, now I have a choice to make.  I can wallow in my sorrow over a lack of Martha Stewart-ism in my Thanksgiving or I can rest in my sovereign God.  And, guess what?    I think I’ll rest.  By being sick, He gave me special, individual time with each of my kids.  Precious, priceless snuggles that, in all my bare honesty, would not have happened if I were still in operational holiday mode.  And, that is something I am very thankful for.  Some things matter.  Some things don’t. 

And, truth be told, I don’t think God is concerned this Thanksgiving about how the well the turkey gets brined or roasted or fried.  I don’t think He is concerned with our table settings or how many pumpkins were used to make the house festive.  I don’t think He is concerned how quickly the tree goes up after the big turkey dinner is over or how well we nap or how the game goes.  I think our Father desires that our focus be on Him.  I don’t even think He wants us to focus on the gifts He’s given.  Goodness knows, we’ve all been blessed far beyond measure and have much to be thankful for.  Our families, friends, homes, food, and a million other things are all way more than we deserve.  I think He desires that we focus on Him, the giver of all the things we have to be thankful for.  He gave.  He provided.  He healed.  He ________ (you fill in). 

Were we to pause and think on it, I know we would find that His goodness is completely overwhelming.  So, in this moment, I affirm with those around the throne, saying “’Amen, blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might, be to our God forever and ever.  Amen.’” (Revelation 7:12)   

And, of course, I’ll still try to accomplish my list of stuff to do, but I think I’ll stop sweating it and enjoy the day.  Some things matter, and some things just don’t.  And the holiday queen crown goes to…not me.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful reminder! Thanks for sharing.
    lizzieroe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete